Log in


Norwood status report - We love weaving!

About Norwood status report

Previous Entry Norwood status report Jan. 30th, 2006 @ 12:35 pm Next Entry
Well, I'll keep trying to stir up a little more activity here.

Thinking about a simple project to get the Norwood adjusted and working again after it sat unused for several years and then was dismantled and reassembled in order to get it into our house, I remembered some nice spun silk yarn that was given to me a couple of years ago. Keeping in mind the autumn guild show, and the demand for affordable stuff to sell there, I settled on silk scarves.

Simple rosepath threading on just four shafts for now, 16 epi, 150 ends plus floating selvedges. Eight yard warp. Should be easy, no?

Conceptually, yes, it was simple. However, warping a new loom always requires some adjustments to your familiar methods, and this was no different. No serious problems, just different. Next time I'll remember to put the counting cord in a more convenient spot. Fortunately, it's a striped warp so the color changes were just as good as the counting X's. Threading was straightforward, and I find I do like the texsolv heddles. But the working level for this loom is somewhat lower to the floor than my Schacht. Lots of bending and stooping was involved, and today I'm thinking about ibuprofen for lunch. ;p

The header is woven, all looks good, so I just have to wind bobbins and start weaving. Ack, hemstitching.

(Photos to follow as things develop.)
Current Mood: artistic
Leave a comment
Top of Page Powered by LiveJournal.com